- Chefs Picks
- Fitness Fuel
- Master Series
- Private Classes
- Quick & Easy
Learn to Make Yaki Onigiri & Hand Rolls
Learn to make two of Japan's favorite rice based snacks, Temaki (hand rolls), and Yaki Onigiri (seared rice balls)! Each of these simple foodie projects are perfect for lunch, dinner, or late night snacking (drunk food).
Onigiri and Temaki are everyday foods for people in Japan, and they are quickly becoming one of the trendiest foods in the U.S. and Europe. Here in Austin, versions of Onigiri are served at some of the city's most popular restaurants and food trailers. It's no wonder. Once you taste sweet and salty rice, sandwiched between crispy nori, and stuffed with flavorful fillings, you'll be in love.
In this class:
* Learn to make "sushi" rice, using a simple cooking technique and marinade.
* Discuss possible fillings and toppings for Temaki and Onigiri
* Discover the "secret" recipe for making spicy mayo, just like your favorite sushi restaurant
* Enjoy a hands on demonstration of how to mold, stuff, and sear Onigiri, and how to stuff and roll Temaki
* After we are done cooking, you'll get to eat one of the yummiest rice-based dishes you've ever tasted!
* Yaki Onigiri and Temaki can be prepared Vegan, and/or Gluten Free. Options for each diet will be available during class
This class involves some specialty tools and ingredients that you will need to gather beforehand. You can find a shopping list of specialty items on a special page on Amazon.com. Other ingredients can be found locally in most grocery stores.
Have a question about this class? Email me at